Steel Shot Abrasive
Steel shot is spherical metallic abrasive media produced by the molten steel by means of the atomizing process. Metalworking Industries are the main users of Steel Shots such as ferrous and non-ferrous foundries, steel mills, forge shops and metal fabricators, sand removal and to improve metal surface preparation, etc. since its process is not harmful, hence steel shot produces the least level of dust. Blast cleaning with steel abrasive media is an important operation at various stages of metal production. There are different varieties and sizes of steel shot which give extraordinary results on the metal surface. It produces the most economical abrasive media which has a recycling capacity of more than 30 times due to its robustness and high durability. A larger steel shot industriously cleans a more rough surface. To accelerate steel shot on the surface, both wheel blasting machine and air powdered system are used. Steel shot produces the least dust because their process is not harsh. Steel shots are used to clean heavy parts of metals such as engine turbine blades, crankshafts, heavy-duty springs, etc. Low carbon steel shot has a low hardness in comparison to high carbon steel shot. Because of its microstructure, it resists impact, while the moment it suddenly scatters/dissipates and turns into fine powdered dust. It is even used for flash descaling. Because low carbon steel shot is softer in nature and cannot be crushed into grits, it is utilized less. Steel shots are made from steel scrap. The furnace is an electric furnace. Steel scrap is melted in this furnace and then atomized into the steel shots by a water jet.
Steel shots manufacturing process involves the following steps:
- Melting of steel scrap + alloy.
- Atomizing is done by a high-pressure water jet.
- Drying the object obtained.
- Screening /separation of different sizes of steel shots (separate the small shot size from the oversized shot particles which are used for grit production).
- Spiraling means removing irregularly shaped steel shots.
- Quenching is done to produce superior particle integrity with minimum-stress cracks.
- Screening is done to check the quality and specification before packaging.
- Packaging of steel shots into bags.
Steel Shot is exceptionally durable, due to its low friability (a abrasive media can have the same hardness but different friability similar to that of durability), the impact of blasting actually tempers the steel shots so that its hardness increases over time, allowing the blasting media to give consistency, repeating the same performance for thousands of cycles. It has an extremely low breakdown rate, even if no dust is produced. Due to high-impact energy and fast cleaning rates, Steel Shot is used for heavy scouring and to produce a very bright finishing surface in sand blasting machine / shot blasting machine. These steel shots reduce the maintenance cost of the blasting machine many times.
The functions performed by the steel shots blasting are as follows:
- Surface impurities are removed, leaving a completely clean surface that aids in the inspection of process flaws.
- Surface preparation: Provides a surface profile (etch, smoothen, matte finish) preparatory to further processing like thermal spray gun coating, painting, etc.
- Cleaning of metal, glass, wooden, etc. surfaces.
- Steel shot is used for descaling
- Steel shot in India is used for Debugging
For More Information about steel shot price visit our website.
Advantages of Steel Shots:
- Steel shot in India produces a fantastic outcome on metal surfaces.
- Excellent tensile strength.
- The ability to recycle and save money is excellent.
- Both wheel blasting techniques and air-powered blasting equipment use this material.
- Remove surface contamination and provide a completely clean, smooth surface.
Features of steel shots
- Steel shots have a long working life
- Steel shots have uniform size
- Steel shots provide good service
Steel Shot abrasive media is available in all standard sizes for use in wheel blasting and pressure blasting systems for stripping, cleaning, deburring, finishing, smoothening, and metal surface improvement.
For more information about steel shot manufacturers visit our website.
Properties of steel shots
Mostly steel abrasives are manufactured from high-carbon steel composition, the best compromise between mechanical and chemical properties, efficiency, and durability. The most vital properties of steel abrasives are hardness, size and shape, toughness, and cleanliness.
- Recyclability and environmental impact of steel abrasives
The recyclability of steel shots ranges between 1000 and 2000 cycles. Due to its high recyclability level, steel shots tend to generate less wastage when compared to other abrasive media.
- Hardness of steel shot abrasives
Steel shot in India is available at different hardness levels, ranging between 35 and 55 on the scale.
Applications of steel shots
Steel shot and grit are used in cleaning applications for the removal of loose material, rust, and paint coatings from metal surfaces. This type of cleaning is common in the automotive industry (motor blocks, cylinder heads, railway coaches, etc.).
- Stone cutting
Steel grit is used in cutting hard stones. The steel grit is used in large multi-blade frames which are used to cut the blocks of granite stone into thin slices.
- Surface Preparation
Surface preparation is multiple operations of cleaning, smoothing, and physical modification of a blasting surface. Steel shot and grit are mainly used in surface preparation for cleaning metal surfaces that are covered with mill scale, dirt, and rust, and for physical modification of the metal surface creating roughness for better application of paint and coating.
- Shot peening
Shot Peening is the repeated striking or injecting of a metal surface by hard shot particles. These impacts produce deformation or change in the metal surface but also improve the durability or life of the metal surface. The media used in this process is spherical rather than triangular.